Get your Tickets to the 2012 Cleveland Classic featuring Morehouse College & Winston-Salem State! (1346 hits)
Date: September 15, 2012
Time: 12 pm - 5 pm
Summary: Greater Cleveland Sports Commission will host the second annual Cleveland Classic HBCU football game presented by McDonaldâ€™s on September 15, 2012.
The Greater Cleveland Sports Commission will host the second annual Cleveland Classic HBCU football game presented by McDonald’s on September 15, 2012
where Morehouse College will battle Winston-Salem State University at Cleveland Browns Stadium.
The Greater Cleveland Sports Commission will host the second annual Cleveland Classic HBCU football game presented by McDonald’s on September 15, 2012 where Morehouse College will battle Winston-Salem State University at Cleveland Browns Stadium. The Cleveland Classic is an entire weekend full of dynamic activities and events for all ages while celebrating premier historically black universities. Festivities will include a College Readiness Fair presented by McDonald’s and College Now Greater Cleveland, Greek Step Show, Tailgate Party presented by University Hospitals, KeyBank Marching Band Half-time Show and the Cleveland Classic game presented by McDonald’s.
The Cleveland Classic is one of the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission’s proprietary events that will serve as a vehicle to bring the community together through exciting sports, educational and cultural activities.
“We are thrilled to once again host the Cleveland Classic. We have two high-caliber schools playing in the game and have enhanced the offering of cultural and educational weekend activities in which the Cleveland community can participate. It’s our goal to continue to build an exciting tradition and economic generator for our region,” stated David Gilbert, President and CEO of the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission. “This year, the Cleveland Classic weekend is expected to infuse an estimated $3 million of economic activity.”
• The weekend will begin on Friday, September 14 with a College Readiness Fair presented by McDonald’s and College Now Greater Cleveland. The College Readiness Fair offers an opportunity for the Cleveland Municipal School District and surrounding suburban area students to prepare for life after high school by learning the different options for post-graduate education and methods to achieve their learning goals. An estimated 1,500 select students will be transported free of charge to Cleveland Browns Stadium where lunch will be provided.
• The festivities continue Friday evening with a Greek Step Show at Quicken Loans Arena from 7:00pm-10:00pm. This exciting competition will celebrate the cultural art of stepping as nine nationally recognized HBCU fraternities and sororities showcase their talents and compete to be named the 2nd Annual Cleveland Classic Greek Step Show Champion. Kym Whitley, actress and comedian, along with Ahmaad Crump of the Cleveland Cavaliers will host the evening once again. The Greek Step Show is free to attend with a Cleveland Classic game ticket which will be available for purchase at the event.
• On Saturday, September 15th, before entering the stadium for the main event, fans can show their spirit by attending the official Tailgate Party presented by University Hospitals on the north side of Cleveland Browns Stadium. Admission to the Tailgate is free with a Cleveland Classic game ticket. This family-friendly event will feature live entertainment, health screens, vendors, food, beverages, games and more.
• The Cleveland Classic football game presented by McDonald’s will kick off at noon on Saturday and will feature Morehouse College versus Winston-Salem State University at Cleveland Browns Stadium. Tickets to the Cleveland Classic football game are now on sale through Ticketmaster and are $15 for general admission seats or $40 for reserved seating (processing fees are additional). Groups of 20 or more individuals can purchase tickets for $10 general admission or $35 for reserved seating.
“It is an honor and a privilege to play in the 2012 Cleveland Classic. We look forward to coming to Cleveland, Ohio to face a very formidable Morehouse College Tiger football team. This is a great opportunity for Winston-Salem State University to face a tough opponent in a professional football venue and we look forward to putting on a great show,” said Connell Maynor, Head Football Coach for the Winston-Salem State University Rams.
“The entire Morehouse family – players, coaches, fans and alumni – is looking forward to participating in the Cleveland Classic,” said Yusuf Davis, Morehouse College Sports Information Director. “We are certain that the Classic will be a success on every level and we anticipate that this will be one of the highlights of our season.”
Additional highlights of the Cleveland Classic include:
• Tom Joyner, heard on Cleveland’s 93.1 WZAK and host of the nationally syndicated Tom Joyner Morning Show, will broadcast live from 6:00am-10:00am from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum on Friday, September 14th. Joyner is also slated to attend the Tailgate party and toss the coin at the beginning of the Cleveland Classic game.
• The National Anthem will be performed by national R&B recording group, Dru Hill.
• The KeyBank Marching Band Half-time Show will electrify the crowd with highlight performances by Morehouse College and Winston-Salem State University marching bands and drumlines.
“Radio One is honored to partner with the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission to build the Cleveland Classic into a pillar of Cleveland’s rich history. This year, we are thrilled to welcome Tom Joyner back to Cleveland and his live national broadcast from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame preceding the Cleveland Classic that will showcase this great city and event,” stated Jeff Wilson, Regional Vice President of Radio One, Inc.
The Cleveland Classic Local Organizing Committee (LOC) is chaired by Jakki Nance, Spelman graduate and Chief Operations Officer for Swin Cash Enterprise, along with Eddie Taylor, Practice Leader for Oswald Companies, Donnie Perkins, Vice-President of Diversity and Inclusion for University Hospitals and Herb Washington, Owner and Operator of McDonald’s. Their leadership and resources will enhance the efforts of the Sports Commission and bring much awareness to the community.
TJ Ward, starting safety for the Cleveland Browns, has been named honorary chair for the 2012 Cleveland Classic. He is a fan favorite that is known for his hard-hitting, aggressive playing style on the field and his commitment to inspiring youth in the community. Ward is slated to attend the Greek Step Show on Friday, September 14th and participate in various promotional efforts leading up to the event.